Friday, December 24, 2010

Celebrating Christmas

This entry will be one of the occassions to criticize atheists actually. Maybe not all of them, but I'd say most of them. The christmas time is here and with it all the other stuff like buying presents, lot of food, christmas markets etc.

Recently, lot of people got disgusted by Christmas time, because the society had turned it into races of who buys the best present. And also who will sell most of the most useless things ever produced, to be later presented as presents. And these people lack a little bit of motivation to celebrate the holiday, nevertheless, most of them do celebrate it.

What I don't understand, though, is why ATHEISTS celebrate Christmas. I believe, most of you are familiar with the events behind Christmas celebration. It's celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ and that is, why every year on december the 25th we celebrate it. To put aside the issue, that the date of birth of Jesus Christ was established much, much later after his supposed death. I even heard about new calculations of his birthday to be around april, or so. Anyway, that is not important.

The important factor here is, the question, why atheists celebrate Christ's birthday? There is no compelling reason for me as to why they do that. And to tell the truth, I myself DO NOT celebrate Christmas for this very reason. As an educated atheist, educated even on the christian point of view, I am not even at all persuaded about him even being born, in the first place. There is no conclusive evidence to that. And there really isn't and I will present you with a link on wikipedia about historicity of Jesus at the end of this entry.


So tell me then. Why do you celebrate it? And I've heard the excuses, like you're with your family etc. Well, what prevents you from being with your family any other day of the year? What prevents you from buying something for them any other day of the year? What prevents you from lot of other things to do any other day? Why do you need it to be done on the Christmas time and even admiting you celebrate Christmas? You could be with your family and do all the other stuff(maybe except making a christmas tree, because it's rather an annoyance in my opinion, anyway) without the pretense of Christmas even on december the 25th(or 24th). But you don't mind to call it celebrating Christmas.

And there is another point to consider. So you don't mind celebrating Christ's birthday, why then on earth you do mind celebrating his last dinner and why don't you go to church? I mean, you act like you don't believe in the stuff, but then there comes Christmas and you're all like Yeah, let's celebrate Christmas.. Yes.. let's celebrate it guys, along with celebrating jesus being born, because that's what it realy is after all and nothing more, nothing less. So I'd like to encourage you to go to your nearest church and celebrate all the other nice stories about Jesus and about God, you very obviously don't mind.

I take the position of not believing all those fairy tales. That also means, I don't celebrate birthdays of fairy tale character.. Just tell me, how many times have you celebrated the birthday of Snowwhite?

This article discusses about historicity of Jesus and I rather encourage you to read it whole:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment